Blantyreferme Pit

Blantyre's Ain Website
Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Blantyre History of Mining

Blantyreferme Pit

In the late 1700’s coal was being mined in Cambuslang and was being brought to Blantyre to fuel the furnaces and steam engines of the Blantyre Works and Mills which opened in 1785.

Blantyreferme Pit

Blantyreferme Pit

As the Lanarkshire coalfields were further opened up, in 1835, coal was also being brought from the Hamilton area at a cost of between 5 and 6 shillings per ton. Another pit which supplied the Mills was Blantyreferme No.3 Colliery, which was sunk in 1850 by the Ayrshire company, A & G Moore

The records of AG Moore & Co, owners of the Blantyreferme Mine near Uddingston (which employed 456: 386 underground and 70 above), show the mine owners’ houses in Blantyre Parish were located at nearby Blantyreferme, and Caldervale, which had 40 two apartment houses with sculleries, occupied by 56 miners, at a rental of £9 2s (£9.10).

~~~

If you have any Photos… Send them to Bill

Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Back to home

Right to next page

Site Designed & Maintained by:
minisymbol21“In Pursuit of Excellence”

Copyright © Symbol Internet Marketing 2003 – 2017

haste-ye-banner1