St Joseph’s R.C. Church Build
|In 1889, the ground of the existing St. Joseph’s School and Church was extended by some 80 feet to the west in order to accommodate a new Church. The go ahead to build a new Church in 1898 was given by the Archbishop of Glasgow, and work began on the Gothic style Church, which can accommodate 1,000 people, in 1904.
The Church was designed by Messrs Pugin and Pugin of London at an approximate cost of £10,000, (£1,075,000 in today’s money). The opening sermon was preached by Rev John A Maquire, Archbishop of Glasgow on the 10th June, 1905.
Father Hackett was appointed priest in 1888 at the old-School Church, next to to this new build and served in the new Church until his death on 5th March 1921.
Affectionately known as “The Doc,” by his faithful parishioners, they built a new High Alter, which is still there today, in his memory.
Source: Diocese of Motherwell
Neil Gordon’s Blantyre An Historical Dictionary
Copyright © Symbol Internet Marketing 2003 – 2017