Serious Fire in Blantyre

Blantyre's Ain Website

Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Snippets of Yesteryear

Serious Fire in Blantyre

£7,000 Damage

Serious Fire in BlantyreA serious fire occurred last night in the mining village of Stonefield, Blantyre. The premises involved consisted of shops and dwelling houses, and had frontage to Stonefield of 200 feet and to Forrest Street of 40 feet. The fire broke out in the shop of Mr Joseph Dunn, ironmonger, and by ten o’clock it had spread to the adjoining shops, which were occupied by Mr David McCall, grocer; Mr D.M. Louden, tailor; Messrs Logan and Co., pawnbrokers; Mr A. McCaskey, grocer; Mr Mackenzie, baker; and Mr J.S. MacDonald.

The whole of these premises were practically gutted. Immediately on the outbreak of the fire the tenants who occupied the upper storey of the range of buildings, mostly working people, began to remove their household effects, and in this they were partially successful. In the Masonic Hall, which was situated in the centre of the block, a performance was in progress. It was at once stopped, and there was no approach to a panic. The total damage is estimated at about £7,000.

Aberdeen Daily Journal, Tuesday, October 6th, 1903

~~~

Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Back to home

Right to next page

Site Designed & Maintained by:
minisymbol21“In Pursuit of Excellence”

Copyright © Symbol Internet Marketing 2003 – 2020

haste-ye-banner1