Blantyre Works General Store

Blantyre's Ain Website

Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Workers Village

Blantyre Works General Store

Village Bar, BlantyreThe self-sufficient mill community facilities included a public washing house, bleaching green, graveyard, school, post office and farm, counting house and General Store, which was adjacent to the Post Office.

In the early days, the workers were paid in tokens that could only be spent at the General Store, a win-win situation for the Mill owners, the Monteith’s.

The General Store later became a Public House, known as The Village Bar, in the early 1930’s and is situated in Station Road, Blantyre. The Village Bar continues today to be a popular part of the village community life.

~~~

 Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Back to home

Right to next page

Site Designed & Maintained by:
minisymbol21“In Pursuit of Excellence”

Copyright © Symbol Internet Marketing 2003 – 2017

haste-ye-banner1