Glasgow Road 1908

Blantyre's Ain Website

Blantyre, Lanarkshire, ScotlandGlasgow Road South

Glasgow Road 1908

Bethany Hall 1908

This was Glasgow Road, photographed in 1908. The Methodist Church, on the left-hand side in the picture, originated in 1893 when it only had a handful of members. By 1902, services were being held in Dixon’s Hall (built by the coal-master of the same name) and the decision to build the Glasgow Road church was taken the following year.

The new church opened in 1905 and was in use until the First World War. After lying vacant for a time it was bought by Stonefield Independent Co-op in 1925.

It later became the Bethany Hall and was run by the Christian Brethren, who have been active in Blantyre since the first decade of the century.

Glasgow Road 2008

More recently, the church has been taken over by ‘The Word of Life Church’, an American based Christian group and even more recently, a Children’s Nursery. The Y.M.C.A. is on the immediate right which was recently converted to accommodate, The Spice of Life Takeaway and William Hill’s bookmakers. Glasgow Road Looking East

With thanks for the kind permission of Rhona Wilson and Richard Stenlake Publishers to publish photos from the book, “Old Blantyre“.

~~~

If you have any Photos… Send them to Bill

Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Back to home

Right to next page

Site Designed & Maintained by:
minisymbol21“In Pursuit of Excellence”

Copyright © Symbol Internet Marketing 2003 – 2017

haste-ye-banner1