Caldwell Hall

Blantyre's Ain Website

Blantyre, Lanarkshire, ScotlandGlasgow Road South

Caldwell Hall
Chalmers Building and Caldwell Hall

This 1955 aerial photo of Glasgow Road is showing Chalmers Laun, so called because Chalmers Haulage Contractors had offices in the building. Adjoining Chalmers Laun is the three-story Caldwell Hall which was owned by the Rt Hon Sir James Caldwell, P.C. Member of the Faculty of Procurators, Glasgow, 1864, Deputy Chairman of ways and means and Deputy Speaker, House of Commons 1906-10, Liberal M.P. for St. Rollox Div. of Glasgow 1886-92 and Mid-Lanarkshire 1894 1910, J.P. Lanarkshire and Glasgow. The Caldwell Hall was used by The Blantyre Holiness Mission for worship prior to 1910 when they purchased a Nissan Hut and erected it in Jackson Street. The Hall was later used by the Stonefield Parish Church for all Church functions. The hall was nicknamed, “The Coffin Hall,” because of its coffin shape. The road to the right is Rosendale Place.

The building at the bottom of the photo, just in front of Baird’s Raws, was Baird’s Company Store.

~~~

If you have any Photos… Send them to Bill

Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Back to home

Right to next page

Site Designed & Maintained by:
minisymbol21“In Pursuit of Excellence”

Copyright © Symbol Internet Marketing 2003 – 2017

haste-ye-banner1