Hydro Power Station

Blantyre, Lanarkshire, ScotlandGlasgow Road North

Hydro Power Station – River Clyde

Aerial Weir on Clyde

 

In 1993, a small hydroelectric plant was built to take advantage of the head of water at an existing weir at Blantyre, further towards Glasgow. The single turbine is capable of producing 575 KW. It is operated by RWE Npower Renewables Limited.

The original 1790 dam was 16.5m wide and extended in 1796 to 63m, in 1814 to 109m and in 1836 to 127. 5m

Aerial view of the new Livingstone Footbridge, built in 2002, in relation to Shuttle Row and the Blantyre Weir.  Aerial Footbridge Weir
Dry Dam 1950 Dry Dam 1950

Photos sent in by Anthony Smith

 Salmon Ladder River Clyde Between 1993 and 1994 saw the construction of a small H.E. Power Station at the location and because of legislation, a fish pass had to be constructed. This was completed in 1994 and since then salmon numbers have been on the increase in the mid-section of the river.

~~~

~~~

If you have any Photos… Send them to Bill

~~~

Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Back to home

Right to next page

Site Designed & Maintained by:
minisymbol21“In Pursuit of Excellence”

Copyright © Symbol Internet Marketing 2003 – 2017

haste-ye-banner1