David Livingstone Memorial Church

Blantyre, Lanarkshire, ScotlandGlasgow Road North

David Livingstone Memorial Church

David Livingstone Memorial Church

David Livingstone Memorial Church, Including Hall, Boundary Wall and Manse is a listed building Category: B
Date Listed: 4 May 1994
Historic Scotland Building ID: 6589. An ecclesiastical building in use as such. The congregation began with meetings in domestic premises in 1876, a wooden church being erected on this site in 1878. The name Livingstone Memorial United Presbyterian Church was adopted soon after (Livingstone having died in Africa in 1873), becoming the Livingstone Memorial United Free Church in 1900, and then the Livingstone Memorial Church in 1929.

The manse is situated to the rear of the church.

Aberdeen Journal Monday 17 March 1913

UNVEILING OF STATUE AT BLANTYRE, LIVINGSTONE’S BIRTHPLACE.

The Livingstone Centenary was celebrated in Blantyre, the birthplace of the great missionary explorer, on Saturday. The special feature of the celebration was the unveiling of a bronze statue in the tower of the Livingstone Memorial U.F. Church in Blantyre.

When the church was being built, some thirty years ago, the family Livingstone was asked if they would be agreeable to the church being given the name “Livingstone Memorial.” The family readily consented to the request, and being shown the plans of the church they suggested that a tower should be added as a specific memorial. The suggestion was acted upon by the congregation, and a niche seven feet high was reserved for the purpose of erecting a statue to Dr Livingstone at some future date.

David Livingstone Statue

David Livingstone Plaque

The matter was more heartily taken up two years ago, it being then considered that the statue would be an appropriate memorial to the occasion of the master missionary’s centenary. The statue stands fully seven feet, high, and had been produced at a cost of nearly £400, which sum has been wholly contributed by public subscription.

At the ceremony on Saturday, there was a large and representative attendance. Fred L. M. Moir, the African Lakes Corporation, and chairman of the Committee, presided, and introduced Mrs. A. M. Livingstone Wilson, youngest daughter Dr Livingstone, who gracefully performed the unveiling ceremony. A presentation to mark the interesting occasion having been made to Mrs. Livingstone Wilson by the Rev. T. A. Hugh, minister of the congregation, a number of addresses were delivered, including appreciation of Livingstone by the Rev. James Wells, D.D., ex-Moderator the U.F. Church General Assembly.

Amongst those who took part were the Rev. R. Wardlaw Thompson, D.D., of the London Missionary Society; the Rev. R. Rutherford, Calderhead, representing the Presbytery Hamilton; the Rev. James Mackie, Bothwell, representing the U.F. Presbytery of Hamilton; the Rev. G. Allan, representing the Congregation, George Pate, general manager to the Canon Company, representing the subscribers: the Rev. Robert Mackenzie, Alloa, first minister Blantyre Livingstone Memorial Church; and Provost Smellie, Hamilton.

Source: http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

 

David Livingstone Memorial Church Livingstone Church Painting

 

~~~

If you have any Photos… Send them to Bill

Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Back to home

Right to next page

Site Designed & Maintained by:
minisymbol21“In Pursuit of Excellence”

Copyright © Symbol Internet Marketing 2003 – 2017

haste-ye-banner1