Old Blantyre Pubs

Blantyre's Ain Website

Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Old Blantyre Pubs

High Blantyre

1 The Auchinraith Vaults – Main Street, opposite Muir Street. Also known as Matt Boyles which closed in 2012. Matt's Bar
 2 The Causeystanes Bar – Main Street, at Broompark Road. Now known as Blakeleys c1894 Blakeleys Bar
 3 The Athletic Bar – Main Street, approximately 80 yards West past Blakeleys. Closed early 1900’s
 4 The Plough Inn – Main Street at Priestfield Street, which became The Apollo Bar, nicknamed J.B.’s, the initials of the Pub owner, J.B. Strothers. circa 1884. Now an Indian Restaurant.  Apollo Bar
5 The Kirkton Bar – Main Street, approximately 50 yards West past The Plough Inn. Closed early 1900’s

~

 6 The Caledonian Bar – Hendry’s Building, Main Street, approximately 50-60 yards before The Victoria Bar, referred to as Captain MacNeil‘s and as “The Hielandman’s” in homage to Captain MacNeil. They ran the pub for nine years before moving their business to Glasgow Road on 31st October 1933. They took over The Farmers Club, which is now known as The West End Bar. The Caledonian Bar closed in 1933 for road widening.
 7 The Victoria Bar – Main Street at High Blantyre Cross. Owned by the Logan family and then the Steele family (Mary Steele, daughter of David Logan) and then Mrs Gilmurray, known as Val’s and later Carrigan’s and now The Cornerstone. The photo is of Mary Logan Steele (1884 approx) who, along with her husband Joseph Steele (12th Jan 1874), were Landlords of this Pub in High Blantyre and lived at Orchardhead, 16 Hunthill Road.  Mary-Logan-Steele
 8 The Kirkton Vaults – Main Street, approximately 60-70 yards before High Blantyre Railway Station. Also known as Strang’s and Ma Broon’s.
 9 The Larkfield Bar – Broompark Road. (not to be confused with The Larkfield Bar across the road). Originally known as The McTavish Inn, demolished and rebuilt, as Papa Frank’s and now known as The Doon Inn.  The Doon Inn
 10 The Manhattan Bar – Broompark Road. Built on the site of Collin’s Bakery. Recently called Finbars then The Larkfield Bar and now John Carrigan’s. Currently being extended. The Larkfield Bar
 11 Barnhill Tavern – A former Stage Coach Post. Known locally as The Hoolet’s Nest, probably the oldest established Pub in Blantyre. 1745 Barnhill Tavern
Low Blantyre
 12 McCaffrie’s Bar – Springwell Place, Glasgow Road. Also known as McCafferty’s. Later to become  Enzios Ice Cream Parlour. It’s known today as Miller’s Fireplaces, now closed. McCaffrie stayed next door to James Kelly of Glasgow Celtic F.C., Horseshoe Bar and Blantyre Engineering fame in Thornhill Avenue, down the entrance to the Dandy.  McCafferties Bar
 13 The Horseshoe Bar – Corner of Glasgow Road at Auchinraith Road. Also known as Kelly’s Corner Bar, after James Kelly of Glasgow Celtic fame, a former owner. The legendary James Kelly was blessed with the honour of being the first ever captain of Celtic. He acquired the tenancies of pubs in Blantyre, Hamilton and Motherwell within a decade of joining the club as an amateur and an apprentice joiner. The success he enjoyed with running these 3 businesses ultimately smoothed his path into public life as a Justice of the Peace, County Councillor and School Board Trustee. He was Capped 6 times and was Captain of Scotland. At the end of his playing career he became Director and Chairman of Celtic.  James Kelly
 14 The Livingstonian Bar – Glasgow Road at Forrest Street. Owned by McLachlan the Brewers. Also referred to as The Tap Shoap. Above the Livingstonian Bar was the The Blantyre Electric Cinema, nicknamed,”The Fleapit”  (demolished in this photo) and showed silent movies before the opening of the Picture House Cinema, The Doocot.  The Blantyre Electric Cinema, nicknamed,"The Fleapit"
 15 The Smiddy Bar – Glasgow Road at Merry’s Rows (Elm Street) Opposite The Wellington Bar, also known as Maggie McGuires. Smiddy Bar
 16 The Wellington Bar – Glasgow Road at Clark Street. A pub often frequented by the Lithuanian people of Blantyre and Burnbank, noted for its famous Dark Light Beer.  Wellington Bar
 17 The Castle Vaults – Glasgow Road at John Street opposite Marshall’s Shoe Shop, also known as The Black Diamond, owned by McLachlan the Brewers and known as The Bottom Shop. Blantyre Victoria’s Castle Park was owned by The Castle Vaults. Castle Vaults
 18 The Priory Bar – Glasgow Road at Priory Place (Logan Street) Often frequented by Free Masons because of the adjacent Masonic Hall.  Priory Bar
 19 The Cosy Corner Bar – Glasgow Road at Greenside Place Street. Area known as the Stud because of the profusion of young children, opposite Harper’s Garage at Craig Street. Cosy Corner
 20 The Central Bar – Glasgow Road opposite The Ale House, owned by Bernards the Brewers. Also known as Sullivan’s a former Manager, then latterly known as Fallon’s after Celtic goalkeeper, John Fallon the owner.  Fallon's Bar
 21 The Ale House – A Public House opposite The Central Bar, which served only Ale, hence its name. Closed in the early 1900’s then opened as Hill’s Pawn, latterly Oreste’s.

~

 22 The Stonefield Tavern – Glasgow Road at Priory Street. Formerly known as Fred Rae’s, then Teddy’s. Then a Rangers Theme Pub run by Andy Gorum of Rangers and Scotland. Another old Pub of Blantyre.  Stonefield Tavern
 23 The Old Original Bar – Glasgow Road at Stonefield Road. Also known as Craig’s. Established 1882. The present building was erected in 1903 by Robert Craig.  Old Original Bar
 24 The Commercial Bar – Stonefield Road opposite Calder Street. Also known as Murdoch’s or Pepper’s after Tam Pepper, a former owner and notorious teller of tall tales! Then McVey’s and now known as The Priory Inn. Commercial Bar
 25 The Red Lion Bar – Stonefield Road opposite The Commercial Bar. Managed by Sammy Maxwell. Built on the site of the old Independent Co-op. Closed by redevelopment.  The Red Lion
 26 The Parkville Roadhouse – Glasgow Road. Formerly the home of Dr John Cowan Wilson and an adjacent house. Opened in 1959. Refurbished in 2009.  Parkville Roadhouse
 27 The Volunteer Arms – Walker’s Building, Glasgow Road, West End. Also known as The Crossguns, owned by Mr Roberts whose son John owned The Priory Bar.

In 1915 Mr Bruce’s Volunteer Bar, Blantyre, had a large company of the Merchants Football Club who met to honour one of the players, James Brown on the occasion of his marriage. At the hands of John Ramsay who presided, Mr Brown was presented with a purse of sovereigns as a mark of esteem. The members of the Blantyre silver band also met on a recent evening in John Roberts, Priory Hall, to offer their felicitations to William Mains, one of their members, on the occasion of his marriage, Mr Sneddon presented Mr Mains with 2 umbrellas one for him and the other for his good lady..

 28 The West End Bar – West End Place, Glasgow Road. Approximately 50-60 yards from The Volunteer Arms. Also known as Bennett’s, a previous owner and The Farmers Club. Latterly owned by the family of Captain MacNeil who earlier owned The Caledonian Bar in High Blantyre  West End Bar
 29 The Village Bar – Station Road. Formerly Blantyre Works General Store. I have an old Postcard addressed to a Mr John Tyre, The Village Bar 1905!  Village Bar
 Auchintibber
 30 The Auchintibber Inn – Situated in this old community which was built to house the Iron and Stone Miner’s and families. Circa 1870, owned by J.B. Struthers. Photo of Bob Souter, Landlord of the Auchintibber Inn
and some locals.
Auchintibber Inn c1950

High Blantyre

These then, are the public houses of Blantyre. Plus we have the Clubs: The Auchinraith Social Club, Blantyre YMCA Social Club (1920’s), Blantyre Miner’s Social Club, Blantyre Celtic Club, Blantyre Victoria Club, The Union Jack Club, The Columbia Club, Corner pocket Snooker Club, The Hotels: Whistleberrys – formerly Bla’an’tir Inn and The Stones Hotel, and The Stanley Hotel. And finally the Nightclubs: Rascals or Casper’s Nightclubs and Hastie’s Farm, not to mention all the grocer’s and off licence premises.

My thanks to Blantyre Heritage Group, especially Ian Hay, for their assistance in the revised compilation of this comprehensive list.

James Cornfield 2006

Added and Amended by Bill

~~~

Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Back to home

Right to next page

Site Designed & Maintained by:
minisymbol21“In Pursuit of Excellence”

Copyright © Symbol Internet Marketing 2003 – 2017

haste-ye-banner1