Rosendale

Blantyre's Ain Website

Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Blantyre history

Aerial Photographs of Blantyre 1950

At the bottom is Craighead Rows, known locally as Baird's RawsAt the bottom of the photo is the Tap Row and Middle Row of Craighead Rows, known locally as Baird’s Raws. Infront, to the left, is the two story building of Messrs’ Baird and Co., the company store.

Centre is Rosendale, leading off Glasgow Road and Auchinraith Road. On the corner of Rosendale and Auchinraith Road was the Auchinraith Mens Club, a well frequented pub by the miners.

Facing corner is The Horseshoe Bar in Henderson’s Building on the corner of Glasgow Road at Auchinraith Road. Also known as Kelly’s Corner Bar, after James Kelly of Glasgow Celtic fame, a former owner.

To the left of Rosendale is the Caldwell hall (called the Coffin hall locally because of its shape) which was used as the Stonefield Church hall. Adjoining is the Chalmers Building, belonging to Chalmers the Haulage Contractors.

To the right of Rosendale… is the travelling Fairground or “The Shows,” as the locals called it.

Source BritainfromAbove website

Sent in by Andy Lynch

~~~

Blantyre, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Back to home

Right to next page

Site Designed & Maintained by:
minisymbol21“In Pursuit of Excellence”

Copyright © Symbol Internet Marketing 2003 – 2017